When to see your GP

Many people experience incontinence at some stage in their life. Although common, it's not normal. It isn't something that you have to live with for the rest of your life.  With exercise and/or the help of a specialist, many people are able to improve and cure their symptoms.

You should seek the help of a specialist pelvic health physiotherapist if you:

  • Are finding pelvic floor exercises difficult
  • Aren't sure you are doing your exercises correctly
  • Your symptoms are not improving

You should also see your GP if you:

  • Think that you may have a urine infection (i.e. you have a burning or stinging sensation when you pass urine and/or need to go to the toilet more often and more urgently than usual)
  • Notice any blood in your urine
  • Have unexpected vaginal bleeding


Send this to a friend